Introducing GearView for the SB20

Have you ever wondered why the Stages SB20 smart bike doesn’t have a gear display? When I took the bike apart to help people understand internal components, I found an extra USB power connector. I always thought this was intended for a gear display. Around the same time, I started thinking about creating a dedicated LCD display - controlled by a small Arduino processor - for something like $200. Then it occurred to me: how about using an old iPad or iPhone? For less than $100, you would have a better display with the ability to show other metrics like cadence, power and heart rate.

I started writing related app software earlier this year. I’ve been using this app as a dashboard to augment Zwift since early February. I am happy to announce the GearView dashboard for the SB20 is now available on the Apple App Store for iPad and iPhone.

You can find out more at: GearView.online

THE FUTURE OF GEARVIEW - PIVOT TIME

I initially planned to support other smart bikes and trainers with virtual gears. The recent problems at Stages LLC have motivated me to add better support for the SB20. The future of the Stages Cycling and StagesPower apps are unclear. If they ever goes dark, it will be harder to configure, setup and maintain an SB20. As such, I will focus on providing additional SB20 features.


ONGOING DEVELOPMENT COSTS

The cost to buy GearView is $US 4.99. This helps cover the $140+ yearly cost of keeping an app in the App Store. I recently purchased dedicated hardware to reverse engineer undocumented SB20 functions. I also plan to add new features, like true calibration for Stages cranks. The good news for early GearView supporters: the $4.99 you pay today entitles you to updates for the life of the app. No monthly subscription fees here.

Please support me if you can. I am not giving up on the SB20. I hope we will all be able to enjoy it for years to come.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

GearView for iPad and iPhone is available in the Apple App Store. 


Have questions? Contact: support@GearView.online 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stages SB20 - Drive Belt Adjustments

Stages SB20 - What's Inside?

Indoor Bike Improvement #10 - SB20 Rocker Plate

Smart Bikes, Zwift and Bike Computers are all WRONG

Stages SB20 - Measuring Torque Against Factory Specifications

Batteries and SB20 Power Meters