Patching Tubeless Tires

 TUBELESS PUNCTURE (ROAD TIRE; SELF-HEALED)

A few days ago I got a typical tubeless puncture: a pin-sized hole that self-repaired and allowed me to make it home with no drama (aside from sealant sprayed all over my bike). What I did next is perhaps more controversial.


1. The hole was centered in the middle of tread. I marked the hole with paint as soon as I found it. That turned out to be good. After the sealant dried I could not see the hole. In any event, my concern remained: The puncture is no longer leaking but can I really trust it? I decided to do permanent patch on the inside of the tire.

2. After draining left-over sealant, I had to wash my bike and the tire thoroughly + add some drying time.

3. I used a normal tube repair patch that was additionally clamped lightly in a bench vice for a few hours.

Aside: Let's face it. This is more work than fixing a tube flat. But given how few tubeless flats I get, I am not really complaining. I also do all this extra repair work at home. Not on the road like with tube flats.

RESULTS

After remounting the tire (with soap + multiple tire levers + air compressor) I have seen no leaks and (thankfully) no change in ride quality. I would say the inside tire patch worked.

How about you? Do you patch tubeless holes that have already self-repaired? How about bacon strip repairs? Is patching from the inside a better long-term solution?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stages SB20 - Drive Belt Adjustments

Stages SB20 - What's Inside?

Indoor Bike Improvement #10 - SB20 Rocker Plate

Smart Bikes, Zwift and Bike Computers are all WRONG

Stages SB20 - Measuring Torque Against Factory Specifications

Batteries and SB20 Power Meters